The world's #1 book on Web capacity planning has now been completely revamped to reflect the latest Web services and e-commerce applications, and the latest techniques and technologies for supporting them. In this book, two of the world's leading Web capacity planning experts show how to precisely quantify potential and real performance problems, and address them proactively. Daniel A. Menascé and Virgilio A.F. Almeida introduce quantitative performance predictive models for every major Web scenario -- especially the latest Web services, e-commerce, and mobile applications. The book's extensive coverage of Web services includes protocols and interaction models; unique performance, reliability, and availability challenges; and new capacity planning methodologies. Menascé and Almeida introduce the fundamentals of performance and capacity planning in any client/server environment; specific issues associated with HTTP and TCP/IP protocols; and typical workloads. They demonstrate how to benchmark current performance at both the system and component level; plan future capacity; define service level agreements; accommodate peak usage; and manage tradeoffs between cost and performance.
The #1 guide to Web capacity planning -- now completely updated!
- A quantitative analysis of Web service availability
- An integrated coverage of benchmarking, load testing, workload forecasting, and performance modeling of Web services
- Example and case studies show how to use each technique in the latest Web services, portals, search engines, mobile and streaming-media applications
- A quantitative framework for planning the capacity of Web services and understanding their behavior
The world's #1 book on Web capacity planning now covers the latest Web services, e-business, and mobile applications! Capacity Planning for Web Services: Metrics, Models, and Methods introduces quantitative performance predictive models for every major Web scenario, showing precisely how to identify and address both potential and actual performance problems. Coverage includes:
- Web services: protocols, interaction models, and unique performance, reliability, and availability challenges
- State-of-the-art capacity planning methodologies
- Spreadsheets implement the solutions of the models presenteed in the book
- Specific issues and workloads associated with HTTP and TCP/IP protocols
- Benchmarking current performance at system and component levels
From accommodating current usage peaks to defining service provider SLAs, Daniel A. Menasce and Virgilio Almeida cover every aspect of capacity planning — helping you optimize every tradeoff between cost and performance.
"This bookis the best guide available to understanding the uniqueperformance challenges involved in delivering today's Web services."
— Mark Crovella,Associate Professor, Boston University;
Technical Director, Network Appliance
"...asuperb starting point for anyone wishing to explore the world of Web performance."
— Jeffrey P. Buzen, President of CMG;
Co-Founder, BGS Systems
"There is no other book like this. It is a first."
— Peter J. Denning, Professor of Computer Science, George Mason University and former President of the ACM
"Web servers have bursty andhighly-skewed load characteristics. This book presents a new way tomodel, analyze, and plan for these new performance problems."
— Jim Gray, Senior Researcher, Microsoft Research;
1998 ACM Turing Award Recipient
"...a welcome approach to the performance analysis of today'sWeb-based Internet. ... no simple and practical treatment has been offered before, andtheirs is a timely contribution."
— Leonard Kleinrock, Professor of Computer Science, UCLA;
Chairman and Founder, Nomadix, Inc.