Présentation de l'éditeur
The original CliffsNotes study guides offer expert commentary on major themes, plots, characters, literary devices, and historical background. The latest generation of titles in this series also feature glossaries and visual elements that complement the classic, familiar format.
CliffsNotes on The Oedipus Trilogy is your ticket to a greater understanding of three tragic dramas from Sophocles. Meet the subject of these plays: Oedipus, the banished king of Greek mythology who killed his father and married his mother. Oedipus The King, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone are timeless works that continue to captivate audiences even today.
This study guide covers all three plays with critical commentaries, summaries, and character analyses — tools designed to open your eyes to the richness of Sophocles' work. Other features that help you study include
- Life and background of the playwright, Sophocles
- An introduction to Greek theatre
- A character map that graphically illustrates the relationships among the characters
- Critical essays on fate and ritual and transcendence in the Oedipus Trilogy
- A review section that tests your knowledge
- A Resource Center full of books, films, and Internet sites
Classic literature or modern modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.