Présentation de l'éditeur
The book emphasizes the relationship between structure, processing and properties, of both conventional and innovative materials. It provides detailed discussions of the different aspects of transformations, including interface kinetics, nucleation and growth, and constitutional undercooling. The book also presents new case studies and examples to illustrate, develop and consolidate the different topics. The text features new photographs and links to Google Earth, websites and video clips, and a companion site with access to instructors' resources: solution manual, image bank of figures from the book and a section of interactive materials science tutorials.
The text aims to provide detailed discussions about engineering materials to senior-level and postgraduate students of mechanical engineering, manufacturing, materials science, engineering design, products design, aeronautical engineering, and other engineering sciences.
- Many new or revised applications-based case studies and examples
- Treatment of phase diagrams integrated within the main text
- Increased emphasis on the relationship between structure, processing and properties, in both conventional and innovative materials
- Frequent worked examples - to consolidate, develop, and challenge
- Many new photographs and links to Google Earth, websites, and video clips
- Accompanying companion site with access to instructors’ resources, including a suite of interactive materials science tutorials, a solutions manual, and an image bank of figures from the book
Biographie de l'auteur
Royal Society Research Professor Emeritus at Cambridge University and Former Visiting Professor of Design at the Royal College of Art, London, UK
Mike Ashby is sole or lead author of several of Elsevier’s top selling engineering textbooks, including Materials and Design: The Art and Science of Material Selection in Product Design, Materials Selection in Mechanical Design, Materials and the Environment, and Materials: Engineering, Science, Processing and Design. He is also coauthor of the books Engineering Materials 1&2, and Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies and Design.