Expert Witness: A Josie Bates Thriller (Anglais) Broché – 28 mars 2012
|Neuf à partir de||Occasion à partir de|
Les clients ayant acheté cet article ont également acheté
Aucun appareil Kindle n'est requis. Téléchargez l'une des applis Kindle gratuites et commencez à lire les livres Kindle sur votre smartphone, tablette ou ordinateur.
Pour obtenir l'appli gratuite, saisissez votre adresse e-mail ou numéro de téléphone mobile.
Détails sur le produit
En savoir plus sur l'auteur
I love thrillers, women in jeopardy, the law, cops and the human condition. HOSTILE WITNESS is the first in a series, featuring my beach-rat, volleyball playing attorney Josie Bates and her teenage ward, Hannah, have really captured readers' imaginations. But I also like to stretch the thirller genre a bit. BEFORE HER EYES, for instance, has a fantasy overlay on a murder mystery that I really found intriguing. KEEPING COUNSEL features the sexiest of villains
I teach at UCLA Writers Program and work with The Young Writers Conference, a program that helps motivate middle school children to explore the power of words. I think I am particularly drawn to kids and writing because both my sons have always had a passion for it. Eric is a playwright and Alex is in film. I am married to a superior court judge who is an endless source of inspiration.
When I'm not writing I'm traveling, on a tennis court, working a sewing machine, or reading. Thank you so much for taking a look at my author page. You can find out more about me - and leave me a note - at http://www.rebeccaforster.com
Dans ce livre(En savoir plus)
Commentaires en ligne
Commentaires client les plus utiles sur Amazon.com (beta)
What happened to Josie? Who has abducted this brilliant lawyer who has made so many enemies over the course of her career? We have to know and private detective Archer, psychiatrist Daniel Young, policewoman Liz Driscoll and Josie's ward, Hannah show us the way going from one suspense filled moment to another as Josie tries to free herself from the ties that bind her so cruelly in a cement bunker buried deep in the Florida countryside.
The search to find out who holds Josie captive, and the desire to know if she will be freed carried me from page to page. I couldn't put this book down and ended up reading one hundred and twenty pages straight through one afternoon until I got the answer. It was not the answer I had guessed at. Rebecca skillfully steers us from one false conclusion to another tempting us with the possibility of alternative endings until the truth is revealed. I never saw it coming. I was shocked that I never suspected the real culprit until near the end of the book, but I guess that's what good plot and sub plot design is all about.
Strong and sympathetic characters interacting on a highly charged intense level, attention to detail and a high intensity action/adventure thriller combine to make this a must read as the past catches up with our principal character and she is made to pay for her prior sins. Rebecca is kind enough to detail at the end all the steps that lead to Josie's capture and confinement and how the real villain manages to disguise his actions and his warped reasoning that fool all of us including the other characters in her novel. This one deserves five stars.
1. excellent weaving of the main plot and the subplots......(a) captives - Jose and Erika, (b) Hermosa PD - interaaction between Liz and Captain Hagarty, (c) excellent subplot with Hannah, Archer and Sarah Crane, (d) excellent interaction between Liz (Hermosa PD) and LAPD
2. I really liked how Ms Forster used subtitles to always alert the reader where the story was taking place. Clear, concise and well done.
3. One of Ms Forsters main qualities is the ability to introduce characters to the reader and "weave" in the important background of that character in such a manner that the reader understands "why" this character is important to the story.
4. Ms Forster has an uncany ability to weave and maintian subplots without distracting from the main plot. Examples include (a) maintianing the subplot of the captives (Jose and Erika) without distracting from the main plot which is the search for Jose (b) the conflict between Hanah, Archer and Sarah Crane while maintaining the main plot.
5. I really liked how Ms Forster presented the conflicted relationship between Liz and Captain Hagarty. I think this was important to the main story line and enhanced the character of Liz Driscoll.
6. I enjoyed the improved relationship between Hannah and Archer. We could "feel" the improvment in the relationship as well as "read about it".
7. I loved the interaction at the Edleman Children's Court.
8. The A-1 Storage Center saga was excellent - well written, suspenseful and entertaining.
This is an action, legal thriller that will be the "page turner" of the year. I absolutely recommend it with five stars and "two thumbs up".
The judge throws out one of the murder charges on a technicality before going to trial, while the remaining victim (who is the daughter of a televangelist) is exposed as a sex seeking tart. Josie pounds unmercifully the experts for the prosecution and careers are ruined. When the trial ends with a single conviction of 15 to 25 years, Josie becomes persona non grata among the community for getting a killer off death row.
Ten years later, Josie has down-sized her law practice to a tranquil seaside resort where she lives peacefully with her private eye lover, Archer, her court-appointed ward, Hannah, and her scruffy dog, Max. This is way too comfortable for Ms. Forster and the roller coaster starts up the first climb. At a local restaurant, for no apparent reason, someone kidnaps Josie and all hell breaks loose.
Josie wakes up in a concrete shanty in the Santa Monica Mountains terrified that no one knows where she is, who pulled this off and why. Archer is her only hope and after Hannah's midnight sneak into his apartment in search of Josie, both come to realize the worst. A frantic Archer teams up with a Hermosa Beach police detective and an affable trial witness for the investigation, but a starting point is elusive until a LAPD patrol finds her car and the race is on.
Then, breaking news alerts California crime victims that the State Prison Board released 45,000 prisoners because of overcrowding. One of those set free is Josie's former client locked away for ten years and set on inflicting retribution on his former defender.
Now Archer and his posse target the ex-con and a dragnet spreads out over Los Angeles. But more suspects lie in the shadows including betrayed witnesses, the teenage victim's preacher father and his flock among the many seeking justice. There is agonizing tension in the courtroom as California Child Protection Services threaten to take Hannah back into the system as she fights for her life without Josie.
Laying in her concrete crypt for days, Josie is frightened, weak and delusional. Her hopes that Archer will find her alive are fading and for good reason.
The unlikely handlers (for good and evil) in this blistering story only reveal themselves once you are totally exhausted. Ms. Forster is at the top of her game and her ardent fans will be thrilled to death.