Présentation de l'éditeur
Squash, pumpkins, zucchini, and gourds are some of the simplest vegetables to grow in the home garden. This book will guide you through preparing the site and the rich soil that squash need, selection of the best squash varieties for growing in containers and in the ground, and proper planting techniques. You will learn how to care for your plants by fertilizing and watering them properly, ensuring they stay healthy, and trellising larger squash plants if you so desire.
Squash plants can grow pretty well without any care. But if you're serious about growing squash as a food crop, and possibly growing enough to store for eating over the winter, then you will benefit from the information in this short book. Reading it will empower you to grow and harvest serious quantities of squash to eat almost all year round. Once you get the hang of it, no plant on earth provides more bang for its buck in terms of nutrition, food value, and enjoyment at the dinner table. If you love squash or want to learn how to grow and eat more of it, this book is the resource you need.
1. Great Reasons to Grow Squash
2. Food Value and Nutrition
3. Types of Pumpkins, Summer Squash, Winter Squash, and Gourds
4. Preparing Your Garden: Soil, Fertilizer, and Watering Requirements
5. Growing Squash in Garden Beds, Hills, Raised Beds, and Containers
6. How to Plant Squash from Seed or Seedling
7. How to Plant Chayote (Chokos, Mirlitons, Vegetable Pears)
8. Proper Watering, Pests and Diseases, and Additional Plant Care
9. Harvesting, Using, and Preserving Zucchini, Summer Squash, and Chayote
10. Harvesting and Storing Pumpkins and Winter Squash
If you're ready to grow more organic vegetables at home, this little common sense book is exactly what you need. Give it a try. Start growing squash and eating healthier today!