Based upon the Berklee Jazz Composition and Arranging Curriculum, this fully comprehensive guide covers all aspects of writing effective and inventive Jazz compositions. Features include:
- A full range of styles from the Blues to Fusion and beyond.
- Melodies created using intervallic patterns, guide tone lines, compound lines, antecedent/consequent phrasing and melodic tension.
- All aspects of tonal and modal harmony including inversions, pedal points and reharmonisation.
- Elements of form including intros, endings, interludes and backgrounds.
- Apply knowledge to any kind of soloist or ensemble, from Sax to Big Band.
All elements of the book are complemented by the accompanying CD, including a listening tour of an entire extended Jazz work. A highly substantial and important volume.