Discussions entre clients > Forum de discussion Kindle

English speakers living in France and using Amazon.fr

Trier par: Le plus ancien en premier | Le plus récent en premier
Afficher les messages 176-200 sur 3157 de cette discussion.
En réponse à un message antérieur du 29 févr. 12 07:30:36 GMT+01:00
Off topic: I am always amazed that a lot tourists have no idea of the priorite a droite rule. It says a lot for the locals that there are hardly any accidents, especially as, in this area, the vine yard workers are very busy in the summer, hurtling around on huge tractors, and the tourists are all pottering about in the middle of the lanes on their bicycles!!

Publié le 29 févr. 12 07:56:15 GMT+01:00
I live in a corner of Normandy where PàD is alive and well. But there are areas of France where it has effectively been eradicated.
Problem is the same for anyone visiting a new area or town. The main route in the centre of town here has perhaps 30 side-roads, 20 or 30 percent of which are PàD, with no obvious logic or pattern. Anyone new to the town, French or otherwise, has to devote a major proportion of ther attention just to scrutinising those approaching junctions, looking for the tell-tale signs which aren't that easy to identify (often a triangle or hex-shaped panel sign that is actually oriented into the side road).
Completely absurd.
Worst is the local industrial zone. All of it is PàD. I've seen numerous non-local cars in accidents there, visitors who weren't expecting to find PàD.

Publié le 29 févr. 12 11:13:35 GMT+01:00
Julie a freebie for you today parhaps as you like books with an Italian theme.Her Roman Holiday

En réponse à un message antérieur du 29 févr. 12 11:26:19 GMT+01:00
I agree Andrew it is absurd and needs to be done away with, the signs are not at all helpful. We have a black cross on a triangle which denotes priorite a droite (no accents on my keyboard) at the next road and they are often small roads hidden behind bushes etc and the first you know of it is when a battered old Peugot (or any other brand) hurtles out of a "bush" - lol

Publié le 29 févr. 12 12:39:21 GMT+01:00
Dernière modification par l'auteur le 29 févr. 12 12:41:27 GMT+01:00
there ARE signs of coming intersections: those markers thingies, whatever they are called, with the red something near the top http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111111150961/routes/images/7/76/J3_1.jpg

Publié le 29 févr. 12 12:54:13 GMT+01:00
PàD is the rule, unless a sign tells differently. I think the rule is the same in maaaaany countries. The thing is, there are so many signs now, you expect to find one everywhere, and forgets that PàD is ZE rule.
The same goes at my place. I live in a Wysteria Lane kind of lot, with PàD at every corner of the main street. The main problem is that even if you know you have priority, you tend to yield in case the guy in the other car didn't...
It is especially silly in MY street as there is no visibility and I actually have to STOP... The goal is in fact to make everyone slow down naturally and stop often, to prevent accidents in this children crowded area. And I have to say, it works.

En réponse à un message antérieur du 29 févr. 12 13:16:03 GMT+01:00
Book Worm dit:
It is quite simple, 'when in Rome do as the romans do', assume that unless otherwise
indicated, PàD applies and act accordingly.

Publié le 29 févr. 12 13:51:41 GMT+01:00
if there aren't stop signs for either road, the intersection is treated the same in the US and it's also similar if all roads leading to the intersection (very few traffic circles in the US) have stop signs - it's either first come first served or priority to the right

Publié le 1 mars 12 09:58:19 GMT+01:00
Just a word of warning - two books I found listed as free on ereader, when I get them on to amazon fr are charged, one at nearly 9 Euros. Always pays to double check that they are in fact free. Usually is OK this is the first time I have found this problem.

Publié le 1 mars 12 11:23:03 GMT+01:00
that site doesn't seem to deal well with the actual prices of books in France - it's fine for the UK and US prices, but it gives me incorrect prices everytime when I import my wish list

En réponse à un message antérieur du 1 mars 12 11:38:06 GMT+01:00
Hello CB, I use my roundabout method of getting the freebies, one window ereaderiq, another window amazon fr, then when I see a book I want, I enter into the rechercher livres en anglais box the author's name and the page comes up, check it really is free and acheter. Today is the first time I have had them come up as not free. It is slow to do one at a time but it works. I found two freebies today which as a dog lover I could not resist Rex and the City: True Tales of a Rescue Dog Who Rescued a Relationship and A Howl in the Night

Publié le 1 mars 12 12:34:21 GMT+01:00
I'm a two windower too (it's even easier at work where I have two monitors)- I'm looking more for the price reduced ones and seeing whether paper or bytes are cheaper - there-s a good thread over at the amazon.com forums that compiles worthwhile price reductions, that often times play out here too:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=kindle_help_forum__rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=303&cdThread=Tx1LK8SYLEDT8B5#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Publié le 2 mars 12 08:05:20 GMT+01:00
and I just got a notice from ereaderiq that a book on my wish list had dropped in price, but when I checked, it had actually gone up, not down - another symptom of their problem handling EU prices

and it still hadn't gone down far enough

En réponse à un message antérieur du 2 mars 12 09:25:03 GMT+01:00
Dernière modification par l'auteur le 2 mars 12 09:27:07 GMT+01:00
Oh that must have been so disappointing. Todays offre is a Cecelia Ahern, I have read some of her stuff in the past, usually a bit "light" but ok between more involving stuff. Worth ,99 anyway. I keep saying I am not buying anymore for a while, due to having loads on my to be read list, and going to a book swap party last week, despite saying I was only going to donate my paper backs I had finished with, I came away with 30 more books. I think I am a bookaholic!!
Edited: typo

En réponse à un message antérieur du 2 mars 12 10:08:11 GMT+01:00
Hello, my name is Esther and I've been reading the posts here for a few weeks now. I live in the Dordogne and I received my Kindle as a Christmas present and I love it. I've purchased quite a few books with the offer of the day and at the moment am reading Bad Science and Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong. Really sorry I passed on the Pardon my French one as there have been some good reviews here. Like you, Anne, I'm a bookaholic - here in the Dordogne there is an animal rescue charity that holds booksales twice yearly and I usually come away with about 30. How to find the time to read them all? I wonder where you all find books to put on your wish lists? I used to subscribe to the Good Book Guide some years ago and now I feel a little bit out of touch with new English language books. I've found a couple of sites but it takes so much time to read through them, precious time taken away from reading!
Thank you all for your useful tips.

En réponse à un message antérieur du 2 mars 12 11:05:19 GMT+01:00
Hello Esther, nice to hear from you. My method of keeping up with new english language books is to haunt amazon uk site discussions forums, Richard and Judy website with their recommendations www.richardandjudy.co.uk, More 4 book club, but mostly from amazon uk site. http://uk.kinlib.com is also a very good site as is http://kuforum.co.uk You are right it does take a long time to go through them all and takes away from reading time, which is why I have a good session and mark them in my wish list as an aide memoire. I was lucky enough at my last book swap to find several from my wish list so must edit that at some point. I have Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be Wrong in my bookcase from a few years ago but found it a bit "dry", Sorry to hear you passed on Pardon my French, mind you if you have been here a few years it will not teach you anything you have not picked up already, but worth a read even if only to nod in recognition and give a wry smile!

Publié le 2 mars 12 12:56:07 GMT+01:00
another thing to check, after you've bought a few ebooks, is "Découvrez nos conseils personnalisés" at the top of the page - youl'll have to hit it once, it'll take you to a page that looks like the first, then click it again and you'll see a list based on what you've bought on amazon

sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not - because I bought a Lord of the Rings box set, it thought I might like a Wii drum game complete with a drum kit

Publié le 2 mars 12 13:28:53 GMT+01:00
Dernière modification par l'auteur le 2 mars 12 13:29:59 GMT+01:00
I would :D

it's great to discover authors in the same genre. Drawback: it tends to stick to the genre. I love zombies and knights and elves and now I wish I never bought that "non-violent communication" essay T_T

Publié le 3 mars 12 12:37:59 GMT+01:00
caro63 dit:
Hi everyone
Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes is only 0.77 ¤ (at last a cheapie on Amazon.com that works for us too! : must be the 10th I've checked out since I joined the mail list for
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cd/t/Fx1D7SY3BVSESG/-/Tx1LK8SYLEDT8B5/305 "Discounted/Price Drop Kindle e-books")
I like her books so that's one for me!

En réponse à un message antérieur du 3 mars 12 15:10:03 GMT+01:00
Thank you very much Caro63 - bought that one. That is a really good price.

Publié le 4 mars 12 09:07:18 GMT+01:00
Todays offer, Kate Atkinson When will there be good news, I have read a few of her novels and enjoyed them. She always writes lots of different characters and threads into the stories and I like her detective character Jackson Brodie. Well worth ,99 as usually her books are expensive.

En réponse à un message antérieur du 4 mars 12 09:49:00 GMT+01:00
I agree with you, I would have bought this one but have already read it! Thank you to you and everybody else for the tips on book selection etc.
Esther

En réponse à un message antérieur du 4 mars 12 10:02:13 GMT+01:00
caro63 dit:
Definitely worth getting! I've already got it in book form but really enjoyed it!

Publié le 5 mars 12 20:08:04 GMT+01:00
caro63 dit:
ANyone read the Richard Harris on offer today ? Looks interesting..

En réponse à un message antérieur du 5 mars 12 20:24:27 GMT+01:00
Yes Caro, I read it a couple of years ago and found it interesting. A friend recommended it and lent it to me. I did not think it was my kind of book, political intrigue, but I enjoyed it Worth ,99 I think.
[Ajouter un commentaire]
Ajouter votre propre message à la discussion
Pour insérer un lien produit, utilisez le format : [[ASIN:ASIN titre-produit]] (De quoi s'agit-il?)
Aller s'identifier

Cette discussion

Participants:  148
Message initial : 24 oct. 11
Dernier message :  il y a 11 jours

Nouveau ! Soyez notifié par e-mail lorsque de nouveaux messages sont publiés.
Suivi en cours par 28 clients

Rechercher parmi les discussions des clients