Présentation de l'éditeur
The colorist is responsible for the critical final stage of refinement of the film and broadcast image. Using all of the controls modern color correction software provides, colorists refine the mood, create style, add polish to scenes, and breathe life into the visuals. The craft of color correction can take considerable trial and error to learn, while the art of color grading takes years to perfect. Alexis Van Hurkman draws on his wealth of industry experience to provide a thoroughly updated edition of what has become the standard guide to color correction. Using a friendly, clear teaching style and a slew of real-world examples and anecdotes, Alexis demonstrates how to achieve professional results for any project, using any number of dedicated grading applications, or even an editing program’s built-in color correction tools.
From the most basic methods for evaluating and correcting an overall image to the most advanced targeted corrections and creative stylizations, Color Correction Handbook, Second Edition, is your one-stop guide. Among many valuable concepts and techniques, you’ll learn to:
• Set up a professional color correction environment using the latest technologies and adhere to the most up-to-date standards
• Work with log-encoded media and LUTs
• Analyze shots quickly and correct errors of color and exposure
• Create idealized adjustments for key features such as skin tone, skies, and product shots
• Develop strategies for balancing clips in a scene to match one another for continuity, and grading greenscreen clips destined for visual effects
• Master a variety of stylistic techniques used to set a scene’s mood
• Apply principles of color and contrast to add depth and visual interest
• Browse valuable research about memory colors, audience preferences, and critical corrections for achieving appealing skin tones and controlled environments
• Follow along with the downloadable files that accompany this book, including HD footage, cross-platform exercises, and project files.
Biographie de l'auteur
Alexis Van Hurkman is a writer, director, and colorist based in Saint Paul, Minnesota. He has written widely on the topic of color correction, including Adobe SpeedGrade Classroom in a Book, Autodesk Smoke Essentials, Apple Pro Training Series titles The Encyclopedia of Color Correction, Advanced Color Correction and Effects in Final Cut Pro, and Final Cut Pro X Advanced Editing, as well as the first edition of this book. Alexis has also written software documentation, including the DaVinci Resolve Manual and the Apple Color User Manual. As a working colorist, Alexis grades a wide variety of commercial and independent projects for broadcast, narrative and documentary features and shorts, spots, and experimental subjects. You can learn more about Alexis at http://vanhurkman.com/ or follow him on Twitter at @hurkman