Aucun appareil Kindle n'est requis. Téléchargez l'une des applis Kindle gratuites et commencez à lire les livres Kindle sur votre smartphone, tablette ou ordinateur.
Pour obtenir l'appli gratuite, saisissez votre numéro de téléphone mobile.
|Prix livre imprimé :||EUR 18,97|
|Prix Kindle :||
Économisez EUR 6,43 (34%)
A Dictionary of Medieval Terms and Phrases Format Kindle
|Neuf à partir de||Occasion à partir de|
|Longueur : 318 pages||Langue : Anglais|
Descriptions du produit
Détails sur le produit
Commentaires en ligne
Commentaires client les plus utiles sur Amazon.com (beta)
I've been an amateur medievalist for about 8 years and have done considerable independent reading. There are words in this book that I've never seen before (ex. leaning staffs: crutch-like sticks that the old and infirm leaned on in church, where it was forbidden to sit). There are words in this book that I've seen but not quite understood, and couldn't find in any other reference work, online or print (ex. chevauchee: warfare by attrition). There are words I've seen conflicting definitions of elsewhere; the DICTIONARY clears up the confusion (ex. garderobe: first, a place to store clothing; only later was the word used as a euphemism for an indoor privy).
This book does more than define words. Many of its entries are so comprehensive (ex. mini-histories of sheriffs and the Cistercian order) as to be encyclopedic. These encapsulations go beyond simply clarifying a particular word or phrase; they actually enhance my understanding of key aspects of the Middle Ages. Topics covered in the DICTIONARY include culture, war, heraldry, church and law, to name just a few. Medieval Latin terms get substantial exposure as well.
I own Cosman's MEDIEVAL WORDBOOK and have found it to be passable as a reference, though not much for browsing. A DICTIONARY OF MEDIEVAL TERMS AND PHRASES is a book I could almost sit and read from cover to cover, just for the joy of discovery.
But it is still a valuable addition to my collection and I know I will use it often.
The volume is filled with interesting facts, descriptions, and, yes, definitions, regarding the middle ages. It is not an exhaustive coverage, encyclopedia-like book like The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, but is rather a series of descriptions intended for the lay reader or armchair medievalist covering all facets of medieval life and custom. It is excellently written, and it will undoubtedly stir within you the desire to read and study more about a whole host of topics. Any medievalist would like to have this volume in the library. You can look things up to find definitions of now obscure terms, but you can really indulge yourself by starting at the beginning and let the book guide you, step by step and word by word, through medieval life. A truly fascinating book.
Rechercher des articles similaires par rubrique
- Boutique Kindle > Ebooks Kindle > Ebooks en langues étrangères > Ebooks en anglais > History > Historical Study > Reference
- Boutique Kindle > Ebooks Kindle > Ebooks en langues étrangères > Ebooks en anglais > History > World > Medieval
- Boutique Kindle > Ebooks Kindle > Ebooks en langues étrangères > Ebooks en anglais > Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Boutique Kindle > Ebooks Kindle > Ebooks en langues étrangères > Ebooks en anglais > Reference > Publishing & Books
- Boutique Kindle > Ebooks Kindle > Ebooks en langues étrangères > Ebooks en anglais > Reference > Words & Language
- Livres anglais et étrangers > History > Historical Study > Reference
- Livres anglais et étrangers > History > World > Medieval
- Livres anglais et étrangers > Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Livres anglais et étrangers > Reference > Publishing & Books
- Livres anglais et étrangers > Reference > Words & Language