James C Brandon
- Publié sur Amazon.com
Format: Format Kindle
Joyce, man of Letters, fluent in Languages, Traveler in circles high and low and places near and far, Scholar of knowledge, Prophet to Mankind.
Joyce has thrown all of Mankind's manifest gods/deities/idols into FW, in reading FW like circumambulating the Kaaba's 360 idols, each reader/critic will find their own manifest god and if enlightened move on to the Unmanifest.
Joyce's Ulysses (is the story of a young man) whose framework is Homer's Odyssey: a tale of Modern-day Odysseus' personal existential/sexual quest overcoming his psychological internal travails (not Odysseus' external travails) affirming humanity (the fundamental family unit: the father, mother, son, and daughter). Joyce's FINNEGANS WAKE (is the story of a mature man) whose framework is Giambattista Vico's "La Scienza Nuova's" 4 stages of history (cyclic): theocratic to aristocratic to democratic to chaos (followed by Joyce's God "thunderclap") which ends chaos and restarts the world again with theocracy.
Both FINNEGANS WAKE (FW) and Ulysses are situated in Dublin (Ireland) and though both books were written on the European continent, Joyce memorializes his birth home. FW is Joyce's continuation of Ulysses on a grander scale: Bloom becomes All-Men (HCE) and Dublin becomes the World. Joyce's Ulysses (Bloom) is an energetic man hopping out of bed, plunging into the Dublin day, waging battles real and unreal, exhausted by controversy and rejuvenated by love (Molly). Joyce's FINNEGANS WAKE is man (HCE) ever-living, man of all wisdom, man of all compassion, man of all understanding, man of all time - Joyce's FW protagonist is Finnegan, who (re)incarnates to HCE, who will (re)incarnate to Shem and Shaun.
Reading FW is entering the "mind of James Joyce", who for two decades assembled his masterpiece - the mind of Joyce is the "library of mankind" he has reordered dictionaries, encyclopedias, and volumes of knowledge to reveal a mandala of Mankind's thoughts, conscious and unconscious, a revelation. FW is a volume to be Read and Read again for 10,000 years.
*4) FW ends "book IV" (Vico's chaos) with a half sentence "A away a lone a last a loved a long the" - the first words of FW is the second half of the sentence "riverrun,...".
1) The first chapter of FW's "book I" (Vico's theocratic) describes 1) Finnegan's passing (pedantic fall, an aeon ends), Joyce's God "thunderclap" restarting "book I" from ending "book IV" and 2) transition from Finnegan (his fertile historic home) to HCE (an invading Ulysses). The first 4 chapters of "book I" introduces readers to the father (protagonist HCE, his syncretic history and "folk" hearsay) and the second 4 chapters of "book I" are devoted to the women (who will catch her man) who becomes mother (HCE's wife ALP, her syncretic history and "folk" hearsay). Finnegan represents the archaeological "past" (a passing aeon) held by a forefather (a Brahma, Ireland's Brahmas / ants upon a whale carcass) with his wisdom of the history of all men and times. Finnegan passes his baton (his place in the fabric of the universe) to HCE now present in time with his particular past. The parents (HCE & ALP) are the new "present anchored by their particular pasts" in FW.
After 4 billion years of biological evolution, Here we are!, well, Where are we?, and, Where did we come from?; Our individual particular consciousness has been inherited from the past (a temporal space in an expanding consciousness), and, Biological evolution has divided us by sex (which induces Social evolution) to procreate offspring to fill our temporal consciousness when we expire:
- A Dublin wake for Finnegan (who passes, the past), the spurned wanting Prankquean (complement of male invader), and the disembarking of Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker (HCE, the present) and family. HCE's history, his shameful voyeuristic encounter in Phoenix Park (sexual trysts), his consequential undoing and its memorialized retelling (hearsay's meanderings / creations of folktale) "The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly". HCE is arrested in the "small hours" for disturbances at his tavern/home unable to enter his front gate/door (like Bloom in Ulysses), tried (for his life's deeds, HCE's Dzogchen Buddhist stance) and jailed (for his own innocent protection). HCE is resurrected from a metaphorical coffin (jail/hell, funeral's end to marriage's beginning) precipitating HCE's memories (Bloom's underworld excursion Ulysses ch Hades), HCE's spirits rally and a revealing (liberating) letter is introduced. Anna Livia Plurabelle's history of letters (Muse), written by his son Shem (Joyce), appropriated by his twin brother Shaun (carrier). Analysis of the ALP letter (cast/setting of FW) and the informing parable of "The Mookse, the Gripes and Nuvoletta" (Shaun stasis/space, Shem change/time, and Iseult evolution's direction). Shem's artistic nature (hardships as an enlightened "revealer") who evolves from father Justice to ALP's Mercy and reveals her letter(s). Two washerwoman gossip over ALP & HCE: ALP pursues her soulmate HCE and prepares her social "nest" by quashing the rumors of HCE, she is his better half and defender.
2) FW's "book II" (Vico's aristocratic) devotes itself to HCE & ALP's children: Shaun (extrovert, man of the world, stasis/space - like Sartre's BEING in "Being and Nothingness") carrier of the letter(s) and builder, Shem (introvert, artist, change/time - Sartre's NOTHINGNESS) revealer of the letter(s), and Iseult (daughter) gatherer and composer of letters. The children are the "present future" of FW.
Biological and Social evolution engenders parental responsibilities, to successful offspring, to continue and expand consciousness:
- Shem (Glugg, 3 advancing trials), Shaun (Chuff), and Iseult play (children's social world) in front of the family tavern chronologic games parodying their parent's lives. Shem (gifted Glugg), Shaun (Chuff), and Iseult ridicule their dated orthodox lessons and arrogant ossified professor (the past, adult world), Dolph's sexual revelations antagonize a perplexed Kev who blackens Dolph's eye, Issy self-reflects and composes letters, graduation pending the children will move past their parents to their own individual intellectual lives. HCE & ALP's children grow up (the present) in a raucous Feast of eating, drinking, storytelling, and a "free and open discussion of ideas" in the family tavern (HCE's ship) interrupted by "media announcements", HCE's defends himself with a self-deprecating apologia and latter his drunken collapse after the close. MaMaLuJo (ever-present local social Dharma), HCE asleep on the floor dreams of his (children's collegiate future) transferred romantic love, the tale of the interrelationships between King Mark/HCE, Tristram/Shem (and Shaun/Morholt) and the two Iseults (Queen ALP wife/mother and Princess daughter).
3) FW's "book III" (Vico's democratic) devotes itself to "what will be of" HCE & ALP's children's - the baton will be passed on (again) from HCE & ALP to: Shaun, Shem and Iseult (daughter). The children's "influences upon the world" is the "future generation" (presently unknowable) of FW.
Our offspring will inherit and evolve their Own individual particular temporal consciousness within their local (social Dharma, MaMaLuJo) community despite our efforts, our thoughts, our hopes, our dreams:
- HCE rises from the tavern floor to go upstairs to bed with ALP, he dreams of (his desired children's future adulthood) Shaun's unfolding career (carrier of the FW letter) promulgating its contents before MaMaLuJo from his child's ship (a barrel) and a prophetic Aesop's fable "The Ant, the Grasshopper, and the girls" (Shaun/space, Shem/time, the girls), Shaun's initial debacle. HCE dreams of a (more realistic future) mature Shaun's (second coming, Juan) adulthood of Western sermonizing (the FW letter, from manifest to Unmanifest) before his daughter Iseult and her 28 playmates, Issy moves toward enlightened womanhood and Shem (Dave) is designated as Shaun's Eastern enlightened paraclete. HCE dreams of his life's enduring "sins of the father" (Unmanifest contents of the FW letter, on his children's future) on transcendent Shaun's (Yawn, he too will recede into the archaeological past) life examined and prosecuted for the imperfect beliefs he inherited and promulgates (FW letter) by Four Old Inquisitors (MaMaLuJo, and a higher authority Brain Trusters "Unmanifest certified"), HCE is innocent, his life virtuous. HCE's dreamtime breaks, the interrupting nightmare cry of Shem (Jerry, who intrudes/interrupts his parent's sexuality), once Shem is comforted, HCE & ALP return to bed for late-night intercourse unsuccessful spiritually (transactional, condom male orgasm, female orgasm) and a nap.
*4) FW ends "book IV" (Vico's chaos) with HCE & ALP's lovemaking dissolution dream - awaiting Joyce's God "thunderclap" at the beginning of FW's "book I". A supposition may be made that Joycean Nirvana is attained by HCE (via Dzogchen Trekchö) and ALP (via Dzogchen Tögal) - realizing the heart of enlightenment in the present moment, transcending all defilements and fixations (beyond all dualistic polarities) so that their rainbow bodies are realized, unification with the Unmanifest (creation, incarnate conception) and Reincarnation (the baton has been passed on again) - Danis Rose and John O’Hanlon 2010/12 edition reveals the 4 stages of Trekchö and 4 visions of Tögal.
Ever-living Tree of sentient life (time/compassion) and Immutable stone (space/law), "Yet is no body present here which was not there before. Only is order othered. Nought is nulled. Fuitfiat!" Should we Aspire? Aspire to what? To that which manifested consciousness:
- The converging 4 stages of Trekchö and 4 visions of Tögal: The night has passed (all dissolves), the Lotus blooms (sunrise), a Christ/Krishna "Saint Kevin" is born illuminated by light (an aeon begins). Muta (native didicism) and Juva (invading docetism) observe Mankind's existential struggle "Archdruid vs St. Patrick" (Unmanifest / spiritual vs Manifest / deities/idols). "The Revered Letter" (FINNEGANS WAKE / Joyce's West/East Tibetan bardos). ALP (& HCE's) Nirvana revelation (Creation, Incarnate conception and Reincarnation), to end/restart again (Shiva's trident ending the world) "Save me from those therrble prongs!".
Cosmic interplay of the Two Girls: Maya (Iseult/Nuvoletta reflection) - Thaya (Iseult/Nuvoletta) and Three Soldiers: Tamas (Burrus/Shiva) - Rajas (Caseous/Brahma) - Sattvas (Antonius/Visnu); the "shameful" voyeuristic encounter in Phoenix Park ("book I ch 2", "The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly") is Bloom’s major transgression against his marriage bed (Ulysses ch Nausicaa) with Gerty McDowell (and other sexual trysts, in a "garden") who revealed herself to Bloom "she leaned back and the garters were blue to match on account of the transparent . . . she leaned back ever so far...she let him and she saw that he saw...because he couldn’t resists the sight of the wondrous revealment...looking and he kept on looking, looking...a sigh of o! and everyone cried O! O! in raptures..."(366-67), Bloom acknowledges “Still it was a kind of language between us.”(372) and "look and suggest and let you see and see more and defy you if you’re a man to see that and, like a sneeze coming; legs...Wonder how is she feeling in that region... (373-4). Joyce acknowledges that the "revealment" has activated Bloom, the origins of sexuality are women's invitations / revealments. That which cannot be "recorded" (physical occurrences: sights, sounds, tastes, smells, touch... in time and space) are revealments, Mankind's "unrecorded human thoughts and dreams". Joyce established in Ulysses "his revelations" of mankind's hitherto unrecorded conscious and unconscious "thoughts and dreams".
The Letter is all-letters (Brown/Nolan, written language captured in masculine/feminine), the "writings of all mankind" (thoughts we live by, define us, ultimately our undoing) including Joyce's: "seductive letters" ending in a trial (Ulysses ch Circe), songs and verses "The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly", the West's backward disunited corrupted truths (book II ch 2) of human consciousness, HCE's Apologias (muse ALP), and FW (Joyce's comprehensive West/East Tibetan bardos) the "Truths that have as yet to reach Mankind". Joyce has a "historically traditional" revelation of the relationship between the sexes: "women activate men" and women compose letters (Gerty McDowell, Martha, Molly, and ALP, etc.) by collecting the fragments of truths (that Belinda the Hen picks through), while men provide content and build things (Finnegan, HCE, Shaun, etc.). Consequently women are the Muses (and repositories) of Mankind's "thoughts and dreams, history and gossip". "The letter" is within ALP's consciousness (and unconsciousness), within her repository: she is the Muse of past letter(s), HCE's Apologias, and FINNEGANS WAKE (Joyce's West/East Tibetan bardos) - just as Picasso' women were his Muses. (Men) Joyce (and Shem) don't create letters they "reveal letters" from Mankind's collective consciousness (and unconsciousness).
Evolution of Everyman: every man will aspire to godhood during their lifetime, as Icarus flew too close to the sun, every man will aspire to dominate their profession (Joyce in writing FW) or dominate the world of men (Egyptian pharaohs, Roman emperors, Russian tsars, etc.) yet they will fall, taken down by someone, "how Buckley shot the Russian General". The children: Shaun, Shem and Iseult will evolve (in book II) from children's games parodying their parents; to youngsters studying their forefather's past lessons; to adults participating in the "rustle bustle" of present life, aspiring to their own godhood (as HCE has), yet they too will experience the fall (dismembered by those around them); after the fall (but before the end/restart) they will dream of what might have been (not their current life) but when they were young, and when love was young.
Imparted Dream gifts: HCE dreams of how his family's lives may influence his children's future loves (book II ch 4); HCE dreams of how his children's future adulthood may unfold as an extension of his life's experiences (book III ch 1); HCE dreams of how his parenting instructions will influence his children's future of moving past their life's obstacles to their interdependent / individual spiritual lives (book III ch 2); HCE dreams of how he has prepared his children to defend themselves from their family inheritances, ALP (his soulmate) is invited into his dream (to defend him) as is his cherished Iseult (book III ch 3); HCE (& ALP) lovemaking dissolution dream of the past dissolving and the new day arising (book IV).
If Joyce intended "HCE day" similar to "Bloomsday" (roughly 24 hrs): FW starts in "book I ch 3" with HCE arrested in front of his tavern/home, like Bloom unable to enter his front door (but HCE does not enter his home through the back door) - instead HCE is arrested for disturbances in hours before dawn. Then "book I ch 4" HCE's conscious/awake or unconscious/dream psychological travails of past guilts (underworld coffin, Ulysses ch Hades) while incarcerated in early hours of morning. Followed by "book I ch 2" HCE walks home through Phoenix Park accosted for the time of day (12 noon) which threatens (real/unreal memories, Ulysses ch Nausicaa) his innocent well-being. These 3 chapters in FW are Joyce's major rework to incorporate Vico's revelation of restart / recirculation into FW - Joyce rewrites 3 chapters of Ulysses: When He is denied Her front door, He is in Hell (on earth), when released (from Hell) His odyssey to Her begins again (with His ever-present accompanying internal travails) for She always knows when He is worthy of Her acceptance (their Paradise).
Then "book I ch 1" Finnegan's afternoon wake at HCE's tavern. Inside HCE's tavern (his ship) his patrons talk about his family, truthful (letters, Norwegian Captain and the Tailor's Daughter) and fabricated stories (book I:5-8 and book II:3); while the children (Shaun, Shem and Iseult) are in and out of the family tavern/home all day taking their lessons (book II:2) and playing about with their friends (book II:1); HCE, as proprietor, defends himself with a self-deprecating speech before his drunken collapse late night (book II:3). HCE dreams on his tavern floor (book II:4); then dreams in his bed (book III:1-3); before intercourse with his wife ALP (book III:4). HCE & ALP's lovemaking dissolution dream (book IV) to awaken to a new day, a supposition may be made that Joycean Nirvana is attained by HCE unification with the Unmanifest (creation, incarnate conception) and Reincarnation (the baton has been passed on again), awaiting Joyce's God "thunderclap" at the beginning of FW's "book I".
Joycean Nirvana lies on the surface of FW's text (mandala, available to all) - excavating below the surface of the text reveals the arguments that support the Nirvana (present granular mindfulness) and refutes all institutional/religious dogma (children's marginalia righting/reversing misconceived lessons) and authoritarian oppression (Wellington Museum's militarism expressed as instrument of people or oppression by rulers). Joyce reveals what may be Dzogchen "Father Tantras" or "Maha Yoga" (in book I, ch 1-4); Dzogchen "Mother Tantras" or "Anu Yoga" (in book I, ch 5-8); while identifying Shem as receptive to "Ati Yoga" or Non-Dual Tantras (Tiberiast Duplex, in book I, ch 6); the answer to the Riddle(s) the "Tiberiast Duplex" is Shem (Joyce) who is the Enlightened One. A supposition may be made that: the Children learn in "book II" Dzogchen Semde (Mind/Time Series) self-knowledge (awareness) and Dzogchen Longde (Space Series) evolution-knowledge (primordial wisdom, rigpa); and that HCE intends (dreams) in "book III" to impart Dzogchen Mannagde (Secret Instruction Series) Self-Liberation-knowledge to his Children.
What does it all Mean: Joyce's gift to Mankind is that Life recirculates. Unlike Joyce's Ulysses (based on Homer's Odyssey) life does not end with woman (in Molly's bed): night passes, the morning arises, and all dissolves to recirculate and restart again - some actors leave the stage and are replaced / (re)incarnated by a "younger version of their former self". Joyce changes from Ulysses by using Giambattista Vico's framework of recirculation for FINNEGANS WAKE - Finnegan (re)incarnates to HCE, as Shaun (most like HCE) will largely be a (re)incarnation of HCE, Shem (most like ALP) will (re)incarnate some of HCE but also some of ALP, and Iseult will largely be a (re)incarnation of ALP - however, Iseult will choose a man much like HCE (who is (re)incarnated through his daughter) as Shaun will choose a woman much like ALP - while Shem may become the next Joyce. FW is the "thoughts and dreams, history and gossip" of all Mankind.
FW is aural (oral) history like Homer's Odessey and Celtic folktales - when one pronounces (phonology) FW's words (aloud) there are more languages than just English; also, when one reads (morphology) FW's words almost all the words are "portmanteaus / neologisms" which gives each of FW's "polysynthetic words" many meanings (impermanence, Heisenberg uncertainty), each FW sentence dozens of possible messages, each FW paragraph hundreds of possible readings, Joyce's rendering of a more expansive English language and multiplicating universal book with coalescing syncretic themes/stories (that responds to each reader's inquiries). Joyce schooled in Christian Jesuit metaphysics (pushed down into the mindfulness of human consciousness) breathes in the spirit of expansive Celtic (Irish) community tavern life where man's stories of life are told. Tavern life teaches the evolution of Joyce's ten God "thunderclaps" (one hundred lettered words) pushing man's evolution forward from cave man's tales to modern tv media tales. Inside the tavern man learns of the purely human (animal) fall, taken down by another human(s) - like animal taken down on the African savanna. A granular reading of FW can render FW as an updated John Milton's Paradise Lost (regurgitated knowledge from the tree, to affirm man's damnation); however, Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species was published in 1859 and Joyce in FW book II clearly walks Shaun, Shem and Iseult through their earthly evolutionary lifetime travails, our mortality is a consequence of Life's evolution. Every page of FW speaks to man's evolution (unconscious biological, conscious social, aspirational personal) and to Life recirculating (West meets Dzogchen East a "meeting of metaphysical minds") that binds humanity together into the future. Dzogchen (beyond all dualistic polarities) the heart of human consciousness - Joyce's underlying (subcutaneous) arguments refute the "Western curse of metaphysical/mythological damnation", the curse does not exist in the Eastern mind. Like "counting the number of angels on the head of a pin" (Aquinas 1270) Joyce provides a granular reading of FW as a "defense against all Western adversity" for our conscious and unconscious Western travails. HCE's angst is caused by his community that imposes a Western curse (damnation) upon him that man is not guilty of. To experience Joycean Nirvana, a defense against this man-made guilt is required - for as Zoroaster revealed cosmogonic dualism, evil is mixed with good in man's everyday (universal) travails (even the Dalai Lama must defend Nirvana rigorously from the most populous authoritarian state in human history).
Joyce's FW celebrates the Joys of Christian/Buddhist diversity of humanity (expansiveness of human consciousness: Gnostic Norwegian Captain, Shem, Archdruid), Brahma (Finnegan, HCE, Shaun), Divine Women (ALP, Iseult, Nuvoletta), his family - and the Sufferings of the inescapable "evil" of Shiva (Buckley), the debilitating harmful sterile intrusive authoritarian institutionalizing damnation (MaMaLuJo, St. Patrick) by Augustine, the manufactured clerical corruption identified by Luther (since 367 AD) and the burdens of "survival of the fittest" anxiety (modern commerce) met with a Dzogchen Buddhist stance. The (innocent infant) Norwegian Captain (Krishna, HCE), occasionally defensive (Shiva, HCE), though concretized (Brahma, HCE) by community family life (MaMaLuJo) - through spirits (drink) HCE can access his spirituality (dreams) and through spiritual (cutting through) love-making with ALP (direct approach) can access (their Krishnas) unification with the Unmanifest. Joyce was a Prophet who consumed Man's conscious and unconscious "thoughts and dreams, history and gossip", efforts and failings - to reveal the joys and sufferings of Mankind.
Hermes Trismegistus reveals in the Corpus Hermeticum the Unmanifest to his son Tat; however, Maha-Visnu's unlimited universes (sometimes manifest and sometimes unmanifest) predates Western revelations by centuries. Unmanifest "spiritual" God (Visnu) is omniscient compassionate eternal. Manifest universes consist of Equilibrium (Visnu), Creation (Brahma) and Destruction (Shiva) - Shiva is a ''temporal manifestation of Visnu'' whose destructions are manifest and cannot interact with the Unmanifest. Zoroaster revealed Cosmogonic dualism where inescapeable manifest "evil" (Shiva) is mixed with good (Visnu and Brahma). The 39th Festal Letter 367 AD expunged Unmanifest spirituality from Christ's message (Nag Hammadi manuscripts, spiritual revelations beyond the orthodox cannon). Doctrines of Augustine: dogmas of original sin, infant damnation and predestination were brought to Ireland by St Patrick, consequently extinguishing Unmanifest spirituality, sentient's place in the fabric of the temporal universe (preexistence and reincarnation). All Manifest gods are deities/idols (creations of man) - only the Umanifest (untouched by man ) is affirmative by definition (our universe's reality: its matter, its laws & consciousness manifest); manifest local ephemeral astronomic physics vs Unmanifest global eternal quantum (Maya / Thaya - Tamas / Rajas / Sattvas) physics. Joyce returns Mankind to the path to the Unmanifest.
Joyce's FW message: Christian/Buddhist omniscient compassion (Christ/Krishna) is eternally joyful and recirculating. Affirmative family (HCE/Brahma, ALP/Divine woman & children) existentiality: life's biological evolution (sex), modern survival (money), constraining community (Dharma, social evolution) are constantly assaulted by inescapable "aggressive insidious vile" corrupt soul(less/sucking) ossified demonic antipathetic attacks. Joycean Nirvana is attained via the Christian/Buddhist affirmative middle way, "beyond polar opposites" the path of Christ/Buddha.