I own the 15" version of this laptop with 16GB ram, and I find it to be amazing. If you want a compact, lightweight laptop with many of the features of a traditional 15" laptop without sacrificing battery life, this is it! I am switching from a MacBook Air 13" after using it exclusively for the last 5 years.
Here are all the pros of this laptop compared to the MacBook Air (Current Gen, i7 256GB):
+ Lighter weight (2.7 lb vs 3.0 lb)
+ Bigger screen (15.0" vs 13.3")
+ Higher resolution (1080p vs 1440x900)
+ Better Display Color (95% vs 60% sRGB)
+ IPS display
+ Outdoor mode that significantly boosts the brightness of the display
+ Display has anti-reflective coating
+ Thin bezels -> similar display cover size compared to Air's (13.7"x9.03" vs 12.8"x8.94")
+ Thinner than MacBook Air at its thickest point (0.61" vs 0.68")
+ Dedicated GPU (Nvidia 940MX, 2GB DDR3)
+ Double the RAM (16GB vs 8GB)
+ Exchangeable M.2 SSD (I upgraded it to 1TB, cloning recommended)
+ Fingerprint Reader
+ USB-C with Thunderbolt 3
+ Extra USB port
+ Full-sized HDMI port
+ Support for Multiple Displays (without daisy chaining)
+ Quieter fans
+ Extra keys (e.g. Prt Src, Insert, Delete, Home, Pg Up, Pg Dn, End)
+ Faster RAM (DDR4, 2133MHz vs. DDR3, 1600MHz)
+ Faster SSD (NVMe vs AHCI)
+ Faster i7 processor (2.7 vs 2.2GHz)
+ Better integrated Graphics (Intel HD 620 vs 6000)
+ Bigger battery (66 vs 54 Whr)
+ Only $50 more expensive ($1399 vs $1349)
Here are the cons of this laptop compared to the MacBook Air:
- Magnesium Alloy encasing is less rigid (but doesn't flex under normal use)
- Has a MicroSD slot, not a full sized SD slot
- No MagSafe power port (although charging through a magnetic USB-C connector should work)
I feel like the keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to (keys feel looser than MacBook Air keys), but after a while I learn to comfortably type quickly on it.
Also, the trackpad feels great. Basically, just as sensitive as a MacBook trackpad.
Overall, I think it is fair to say that the battery life, trackpad, keyboard, keyboard backlighting, webcam, and operating system are functionally equivalent to those on the MacBook Air. You can also lift the display with one hand, just like you can do on Macbooks!
By the way, the battery life of the 15" version is good: ~10 hrs with normal usage, including web browsing, document editing, and youtube videos at 60% display brightness. You may be able to get even more battery life with battery saver settings enabled.
I think if you just look at all the pros compared to cons, it's obvious that this laptop is the clear winner. I am comfortably writing this review from my LAP on a 15" screen with NO fatigue, a feat I previously thought unimaginable. I am quite happy with this product :D
- Outlet Anciennes collections, fin de séries, articles commandés en trop grande quantité, … découvrez notre sélection de produits à petits prix Profitez-en !
- Offres de remboursement, prix chocs, packs promo, venez vite profiter de nos promotions Informatique du moment !
- Plus de 10 000 ebooks indés à moins de 3 euros à télécharger en moins de 60 secondes .
- Nouveau : découvrez les applis et les jeux que vous préférez pour votre mobile et tablette Android sur l’App-Shop Amazon et téléchargez chaque jour une application offerte.
- Gratuit : téléchargez l'application Amazon pour iOS et Android et facilitez vos achats sur smartphones et tablettes ! Découvrez les avantages de l'application Amazon.