Présentation de l'éditeur
This is written especially for anyone who wants to travel to India and have a deeper understanding of the spiritual traditions of India and learn what is the importance and history of the many holy sites that you can visit while traveling within this country. It is written for both those who are new to India and those who are experienced.
India has one of the most ancient cultures on the planet that is still a living and dynamic tradition. Many of the customs and rituals that we can see today have existed for thousands of years. This is what makes this country so interesting and draws so many people to it. It is the culture of yoga, meditation, gurus, spiritual philosophy, ancient festivals, holy men and women, sacred mountains and rivers, and the potential for becoming more aware of who we are and the purpose of life. This is what continues to attract people from all walks of life, and try to look beyond the veil of its mysteries.
This book will certainly help you find your way around India’s mysterious traditions, and the historical and spiritual significance of the major holy places, temples, and festivals that this region has to offer.
• This book divides the country into East, Central, South, North, West, the Far Northeast, and Nepal, and describes the best itineraries to take to see the most of each area.
• It provides descriptions of the temples and the architecture, and what you will see at each place.
• This book provides the significance and traditions connected with each site, the historical legends, and the spiritual benefits a person acquires by visiting each location.
• It helps you decide which places are the most interesting for you, where you want to go, and problems to avoid.
• It describes the holy places of Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jains, Parsis, and Muslims.
• Packing lists suggestions and how to prepare for your trip.
• How to return from India with the greatest of spiritual wealth.
• How to get the best experience you can from your visit to India.
• Where you can go to most effectively perceive your own spiritual identity.
• How the spiritual side of India can open you to your own divine nature.
This book goes beyond the usual descriptions of the typical tourist attractions and opens up the spiritual venue waiting to be revealed for a far deeper experience on every level.
Stephen Knapp has studied the major Vedic texts of India and practiced yoga and the Eastern teachings for 40 years. He has traveled throughout India and has a collection of over 17,000 slides and images of the many holy places and temples he has visited. He has authored over twenty well-received books on Vedic culture and Eastern spirituality. He also regularly gives lectures at various venues both in America and in India. He is also the president of the Vedic Friends Association. There is much more information about him on his website: www.stephen-knapp.com and at http://stephenknapp.wordpress.com.