1 internaute sur 1 a trouvé ce commentaire utile :
A necessary investigation,
Ce commentaire fait référence à cette édition : The Delinquent Teenager Who Was Mistaken for the World's Top Climate Expert (Broché)
Much discussion of climate change is based on appeals to authority. For many, there can be no greater authority than the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). After all, its work is performed by thousands of the world's top scientists, reviewing the peer reviewed literature and producing a synthesis of what we know about climate change. Donna Laframboise is a Canadian journalist and she has done some investigation to verify if all this is true. And what she discovered was a surprise to her, and I must say, also to me when I read her book.
- The IPCC does not rely only on peer reviewed literature as it claims. Laframboise looked at the many references in the more than 3000 pages of the IPCC reports. There were thousands of references to non-peer reviewed literature - even to newspaper and magazine articles, reports from bodies such as the WWF and so on. In some places, over 40% of the references were to so-called "grey literature" (non-peer reviewed reports).
- Deadlines were repeatedly stretched so that references that supported IPCC positions could be included. In some cases these additional references were added months after the chapters of the report were supposed to have finished.
- In many cases relevant literature was ignored, and IPCC chapter authors were able to high-light their own work at the expense of other work.
- The IPCC does not involve thousands of the world's top scientists as it claims. Many of them were young, inexperienced and in some cases not even qualified. It is a shock to find out that some of the lead authors were in their mid-20s, and some had not even started their PhDs. What many of these young people had, though, was a commitment to the cause.
- Part of the cadres has come from organisations like Greenpeace, WWF and other environmental campaign groups. For a body that seeks to be impartial and objective, the IPCC is recruiting people who have an ideological axe to grind.
- The IPCC has never been subjected to serious auditing. It has gotten away with things because the media have looked all the time aside. No matter appalling the behaviour, the IPCC is still treated as the impartial scientific body it pretends to be. In the same way, the scientific journals and academies are also responsible for not asking questions.
- The IPCC is a political body first and foremost. Delegates are often chosen to represent the different UN nations, not for their competence.
This book really is worthwhile reading, particularly for those who still have some illusions about the IPCC.
The book has also been translated into German: Von einem Jugendstraftäter, der mit dem besten Klimaexperten der Welt verwechselt wurde: Ein IPCC-Exposé.
Détails de l'évaluation